Saturday, June 18, 2011

Nascence: 17 Stories That Failed and What They Taught Me

I've been thinking about 'story' all month. What makes a good story? Why do some of my stories sell and others don't? Why can't I judge what's good in my own stories?

Then, as in answer to my wordless pleas, I came across Nascence by Science Fiction/Fantasy author, Tobias Buckell..

What a genius idea. Buckell has published 17 of his trunked stories written over a decade. Each story has an introduction explaining why he belives the story failed.

If you find yourself reading the author's introductions to stories as carefully as the stories themselves; if you're a writer who thinks about that mysterious thing called story, do consider this book. Tobias Buckell is offering something unique: a real insight into the mind of an author. Lessons to be learnt. Nascence has really crystallised some ideas I've been having about 'story' and given me some new insights.

Available on kindle for three dollars. (And if you don't have a kindle, did you know that you can download a free reader for your PC, that's what I did)?

This is the most helpful book I've read on the craft of short story writing for ages. 

3 comments:

  1. I got it yesterday. Very interesting stuff - both useful and entertaining. I'm going to read through all the stuff in italics and then get into the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I did, Dungeonmum. I'm so glad you're finding it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for that review. I 'm going to check it out.

    Thanks for stopping in and entering the Blog Bash Giveaway on my blog! http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-bash-giveaway-hop-over-400-prize.html I appreciate it and am following your blog. xoxo SusieQTpies

    ReplyDelete